Sunday 9 June 2013

Maintenance 101 - Batteries

Ever notice how things come back to bite you? Here's one................

As the weather started cooling down I was noticing the starter motor struggling a bit. You know what I mean? That slight hesitation when you push the start button. The slightly longer time before the engine fires. That sort of stuff. I made a mental note to check the battery when the next oil change was due (around 3k km)and didn't give it another thought.

Well I should have known better. Miles from home and only a few tools with me (enough luckily) the bike wouldn't start. No ignition lights - nothing. No probs I thought. I'll just clutch it. Next lesson to learn. You can't clutch start a fuel injected engine if the battery is so flat the fuel pump doesn't work. Maybe it was just a bad connection? Lets have a look. To get the centre cover off you have to remove one of the side covers and a few other bits and pieces.

Yes I know - not "my" bike but same same :)


With the battery exposed it was a simple matter to disconnect the cables and out it came. And wouldn't you know it. No water in the battery. Not a drop. Another lesson learnt. The battery needs to be checked regularly. So I organised a replacement battery - thanks Battery World Top Ryde - and I was soon mobile again. Now to look for a Gel battery :)

Since they where so helpful - http://www.batteryworld.com.au/store/battery-world-ryde

And if anyone is interested here is a very useful page for sorting 650GS battery issues

No comments:

Post a Comment