Thursday 25 April 2013

Beecroft

Heading south from Sydney it doesn't take long to discover some amazing beaches and beautiful seaside towns. Less than 2 hours away is the wonderful Jervis Bay with it's pristine waters, white sandy beaches and sleepy holiday spots like Huskisson. It's not unusual to see Dolphins and Whales frolicking amongst Navy destroyers whose home is the Naval base of HMAS Creswell on the southern shore.


A bit wobbly (gotta get the hang of this panorama thing) but you get the idea - beautiful

I have fond memories of Jervis Bay, spending many summer holidays camping at Honeymoon Bay with my cousins. While I have been back the odd times over the last 40 years this is the first time I've ridden a motorcycle here.

Setting of from home I wound my way down the coast past Bombo beach and into the vibrant seaside town of Kiama. A quick stop to have a look at the blowhole and the lighthouse, I was soon back on the bike with my sights set on Gerringong and Geroa. The day was perfect for a photo op overlooking Seven Mile beach. Who could resist?


As beautiful as it was I didn't want to linger. Being a Sunday there was much traffic on this stretch and my schedule was a tad tight. So I was back on the bike again feeling a bit like being on a Contiki tour. Coolangatta came and went as did Bomaderry and Nowra. It wasn't long before I was on the road to Currarong and not much traffic to boot so I was able to stretch myself a bit, flip flopping through the sweepy bends with reckless abandon. Well........ as much as you can on a GS and it felt good to me LOL.



Just before Currarong my destination loomed as I turned onto Lighthouse Rd. High security here. Well.........not really LOL. Beecroft Peninsula is a bombing range and nowadays they want to know who comes and goes. Just a formality but make sure you sign out.




Gloves off, helmet off, get your temporary pass with a pin to get back out. Man it sure has changed.

Kitted up again it was time to hit the dirt. I remember the road in to be pretty corrugated and full of pot holes so I was getting excited. Imagine my surprise when I saw how smooth the "dirt" road was today. Oh well - that's progress for you.




Next surprise - I couldn't go all the way to the lighthouse. I had some fanciful ideas of getting a photo of the bike next to the lighthouse - obviously not.

When we used to come here for holidays there was a lighthouse keeper who lived here with his family. We made good friends with the kids who lived here and every year it got re-kindled. Since the early 90's the lighthouse was automated and now the cottages are vacant. I often wonder where those kids are today.










Lighthouse Keeper Cottages
The old and the new

































Time to head back to Honeymoon Bay and maybe go for a swim









OK - so what happened to my L plate?

This section of road used to be pretty bad too and I was always amazed at how people got caravans in here. I remember how we broke the rear axle of my cousins mighty Vauxhall Viva a bit further in from here but now you wouldn't break a sweat getting in. But either way - it's well worth it.



Left side
Right side
And yep - I'm definitely going for a swim. 

No comments:

Post a Comment