Monday 17 June 2013

Kangaroo Valley - a "quicky"

Having completed our mornings 30km (or in my case - 42km and soon to be 54km) bicycle ride, we where at our favourite coffee shop, sipping the morning coffee, when my mate Dave suggested a quick lap, on the motor bikes as opposed to the push bikes, would be good today. His FZ1000 Yamaha doesn't get out much and he felt like giving it a run. And I don't need much of an excuse.

Of course, this was going to be a fairly slow lap in reality since I am still limited to 80, so I hope Dave isn't too inconvenienced lol. The 'quicky' lap consisted of going from Wollongong up Macquarie pass via Marshall Mount, over to Fitzroy Falls from Robertson and down Moss Vale Road into Kangaroo Valley over Berry Mountain to Berry and back to Wollongong. Around 150km with some very nice twisty bits.


It was a pleasant ride to Dapto and out to Marshall Mount and Dave got the chance to clean out the cobwebs while I happily trundled along eating his dust :) It wasn't too long before I crossed Macquarie Rivulet causeway, with just a bit of water flowing over it, to find Dave waiting for me. We turned right onto the Illawarra Highway and headed up the pass following a bit of traffic. 



Some interesting reading can be found here ( http://theoldbloke.homestead.com/statistic.html ) from a riders perspective but the bottom line is - ride to the conditions and your ability. I've travelled up and down the Pass twice a day for over twelve years and have seen some tragic accidents involving motorcycles. Terrible statistics aside, it is an awesome stretch of road for motorcyclists and I was keen to test my skills by riding smoothly through the bends. If you're interested in this road or the National Park, click on the links. There are fantastic walks and beautiful waterfalls to explore - it's not just about the ride :)




At the top you'll be greeted by the Robertson Pie shop and you can stop to have a Famous Robertson Pie, but it is just a tad too de rigueur for us so we rode past it, through Robo and its big potato and turned left into Pearsons Lane.

Photo:http://guidetoillawarra.com.au
Another quiet stretch of road for Dave to stretch his legs while I played sweep for one until the Moss Vale Road turn off where Dave was patiently waiting. Moss Vale Rd winds its way down into Kangaroo Valley in almost the same way that Macquarie pass winds its way up to Robertson. Lots of twisty bits and a real challenge for us learners. But I was up for it. Another way, Meryla pass is a fire trail that takes you into Kangaroo Valley and is very popular with Mountain Bikers. Which makes me think - I wonder if I can get the GS down there? hmmmm - maybe next time. If you're keen to try follow the link.


Kangaroo Valley is a beautiful valley and the village is seemingly untouched by todays hectic lifestyle. It reeks of a time past and on weekends is full of tourists browsing the craft shops and enjoying the slower pace. On our visit it was much quieter with few tourists and suited us just fine.


Approaching the village from Fitzroy falls you'll be met by the historic Hampton Bridge. It is single lane which slows you down and sets the mood for coming into the village.





This was our stop for lunch at the historic Friendly Inn. Dave immediately made a friend who offered him the contact for a "special" (wink) deal on tyres to suit his bike. I don't think Dave was impressed but it gave me a bit of a chuckle. Definitely very friendly here.

That's Dave - modelling for my pic of the bikes :)

After lunch it was on to Berry and again I was left lagging behind. :) There are a few ways you can go to get to Berry - over Cambewarra Mountain to Bomaderry and up the Princes Highway, or along Wattamolla and Woodhills Mountain Road which brings you out on the northern side of Berry, or you can go the way we went - over Berry Mountain and joining the Princess Highway just on the southern side of Berry. 

This is where I found Dave and bless his soul, he remembered there is a Specialized bicycle shop in Berry which may be able to fix the spoke on my bicycle that I broke earlier in the day. In we walked in our bike gear and the young lady asked "could I help you?" and I said I had a spoke on my bike that needs to be fixed and she said "I'm sorry, but we don't do motorcycle spokes here." haha - of course they don't. What was I thinking LOL. Once the misunderstanding was sorted I organised for my "bicycle" wheel to be fixed and I also bought a new jersey for those cold winter morning rides. The staff here where awesomely good and went to a lot of trouble to help so if you need anything bicycle related I can highly recommend. Check them out


Bicycle sorted it was into the village to Berry Bakery for a quick coffee and a baked custard tart. But wouldn't you know it - they'd had run out. :( Unbelievable but true. Obviously their baked custard tarts are very popular and I can only suggest getting there in the mornings so next time - we will do the lap in reverse LOL

Onward to my next adventure - stay safe.



No comments:

Post a Comment